Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Isaac's first day

Oh my.  Another one off to school.  I don't think my heart is ever really ready for this.  Every mom is different (thank goodness!) but for me, this sending kids to school, even for a short morning.... it's just not my favorite.  I like them home.  With me :) 

But where we live, where we are, we feel very strongly that one of the primary ways we communicate love and respect for our host culture is to learn the language.  And for us, it turns out that it's pretty easy for our kids to live a perfectly English-speaking existence... sure, we have local people in our home, but there is no way they would ever spend enough time with locals to pick up language without school.  So off they go.... on a little love adventure with this country.  And their momma stays behind :(

And today was Isaac's turn - he'll be there two mornings a week, Tuesday and Thursday.  Lydia goes Tuesday Thursday Friday.  And my big girl Julianna is now there Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday.  Did you get all that?



The house felt VERY empty this morning.  Matt was low on sympathy for me - "Enjoy it", he said, "you've only got a few weeks before this little baby in the belly will make his/her appearance.... a few free mornings between now and then will be good for you".  

His first day was mildly successful.  In his own words... "I did not have fun because I was wanting you to come and get me."  And there were plenty of tears too (not at drop off but after, according to Lydia who was summoned to his class on two separate occasions!)



He's already told me he doesn't want to go back.  But he will.  His Daddy will take him on Thursday morning.  This is the number one reason Matt does drop-off, because he knows I would wimp out!  Even with the girls if Matt is traveling I often ditch school for a few days :) 

But it is a sweet little place, and the kids are happy there (once they get over the initial transition) and their language skills are admirable, their little friendships sweet to watch and enjoy, and they are - hopefully, prayerfully - seeing and experiencing that despite all our differences the same Creator God made each and every one of us. 


(In our family it's a huge compliment to be named "#1 goofball".  The honor never goes to me, frequently goes to Daddy, and Isaac is definitely most often near the top of the list!  Here getting ready to load up the bike Isaac was in goofball mode!)

So here's to our new routine.... two days a week an over-loaded electric bike and a morning ride to school.



And our adoption referral update?  Waiting on some information.  It's one reason I'm blogging now, killing time expecting a phone call before noon EST, which is 1am our time.  I think I'm about ready to turn out the lights and just be drowsy for the first minutes of the call :) 

Surely we will have definite news tomorrow.  Please keep praying for wisdom, faith to make this decision. 

5 comments:

JBC said...

Congrats to all the big kids attending school! We're so proud of you :). Keep up the super work!

Mom/Grandmama said...

That's a lot of kids on that bike! I guess Matt-mobile will graduate to the mini van in just a couple more years - can't squeeze even one more little one on that bike! Hope the tears don't last long.

Anonymous said...

Just had to post comment after seeing pic of Matt with chillin' on motor scooter. When Ryan was in pre-school I used to put him in front of me, basically on the gas tank of my motorcycle, to take him each morning. He had his own real red helmet and never complained or exclaimed - just a way to get to school. That would have been about 1982.
M Brooks

Anne Marie said...

So glad I found your blog! Will definitely be thinking about you and your sweet family over the next few weeks.

Grandma Jan said...

You,look so grown up and handsome Isaac, with your cool backpack and all. I'm so glad you get to go to school too now. I will be praying for you. I'm glad your big sisters are there with you too, just in case. Love you so much, Isaac and you all. Grandma