Wednesday, February 22, 2012

fashion tips and more

Today was one of those days I almost lost my footing as a mom.  No doubt about it, pregnancy with #4 is a whole world different than pregnancy with #1.  Not only am I older (and wiser, of course!) and not only is my body doing this whole process for the fourth time, but I now have three other kiddos to love and serve. 

Feeling like I'd enjoy a brief moment of rest on the couch is much different than actually getting a brief moment of rest on the couch!  And the floor (always, seems like always) littered with sixty-five things that need to be picked up and restored to their rightful position.... well, the floor gets farther away every day :)  

Pregnant with Julianna the heaviest thing I carried was an overstuffed bag of groceries or three.  Pregnant with #4 and I still carry Isaac more than I probably should.  Pregnant with Lydia at the 35 week mark we moved to a new apartment!  Pregnant with #4 at the 35 week mark and I'll be glad to find the time to get the new baby's clothes moved to the right dresser drawer :) 

I told Matt that I was going to put myself on bed rest at 37 weeks.  He was not amused :) 

I have great days, days when I feel really good, but every now and then I get hit with a day when I just don't feel that great.  And today was one of them.  Two of the three totally bombed out any semblance of a rest time.  Those same two had been at it with one another all morning long.  Isaac had already created one entire load of laundry via a bad bout with the sidewalk chalk and our little courtyard garden.  It was the kind of day when "down time" consisted of a trip to the bathroom with only one child interrupting my seventeen seconds of peace and quiet!

And about 3 o'clock the fate of the rest of the afternoon was up in the air.  But we managed to pull it together with a snack (for me and them) and a bit of a 'craft'. 



And I'll be in bed a bit early tonight and "His mercies are new every morning".  And looking back over the day, there were definitely some great moments and a few fun quotables :) 

First up Lydia -  who walked out of the bedroom and said "I picked this white turtle shirt to wear underneath because I didn't want to wear too much pink." 



Pink in moderation, that's her motto.

"Turtle shirt" as opposed to 'turtleneck shirt' is one of those kid-isms I just don't correct.  One day, sooner than I wish, it'll correct itself and I'll miss it.  Another current favorite of mine is Isaac who always wants "extra cimmanon on my oatmeal".  And Julianna, who has very few kid-isms remaining in her vocabulary, but still likes to throw in "gigantous" as one of her favorite adjectives (meaning very very big). 

Another of my favorite moments was when Isaac declared "Dad is my best friend.  Then mommy.  Then the sisters.  Then the new babies."  He is definitely in a solid-Dad-fan phase and it's fun to watch and enjoy. 

So we made it.  And while I look forward to ditching the awkward belly and meeting our newest, I'm also well aware that things are going to get just a smidge more intense after baby's arrival!  Realizing that I'm about to add 4-ish hours of feeding alone to my day (not to mention nights) is enough to make me thankful for these "busy" days!  After all "busy" is going to look a good bit different pretty soon :) 

2 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Loved your blog today (but what day do I not love it?). The term "busy" is about to be redefined in your household. And I too loved to hear those special words/pronunciations when you and Stephen were small - we would think of ways to get you to repeat them. Love you all bunches!!

Anonymous said...

Got to love a fashion statement that leaves no doubt, Lydia, dear! As for the "too pregnant" feeling days, I'm so lacking in wisdom,empathy,or knowledge...just lots of prayer for you all.
Love you! BN