Friday, September 14, 2012

the climber and the crawler

An appropriate subtitle for this post would be:

why I only sit for brief moments

Luke's crawl speed daily increases.  He mostly a forward-direction mover, but occasionally backs himself into some sticky spots.  We also once found him on his back with his head and upper body under an arm chair, a car-mechanic-ish pose. 





He can cross the living room no worries, but at this point he's slow enough that I can keep up with his location fairly easily.  It's keeping contraband stuff out of his mouth that proves my bigger worry.  (In true fashion he would love to eat a grape, or a magazine page, or a piece of carpet fuzz.  He is totally uninterested in rice cereal.)

John Paul is not slow about anything.  That little guy can be halfway to the neighborhood playground before I get Luke buckled into the stroller.  The gate on our courtyard is broken and he knows it.  (Gonna get that gate fixed this afternoon!)

He's also got a little climber-streak in him.

Just this morning I caught him here


(the seat insert to the exersaucer is missing due to an unfortunate incident involving Luke and a tremendous amount of poop.... )

I also found him here.
 

(the reason he looks like he is getting ready to launch himself onto the sofa is because he is getting ready to launch onto the sofa... it's a move he learned from the big sibs.... and a move I am trying to prevent)

And here.


(I got to the camera in time to catch the dismount off the craft table... he likes to stand up there for a nice look around the living area from a higher vantage point)

I have managed to communicate that standing on the kitchen table is not allowed. 

But there is good reason not to leave him unattended for long.  Which makes some tasks (cooking?!?) difficult.  Yesterday I strapped him in the booster seat with a snack while I made sub rolls.  This morning I cooked pumpkin bread with him on my back (in the ergo). 

Discipline is complicated by the fact that we are

a) still learning to trust one another and
b) still figuring out how to communicate using our two different languages

So in the meantime, I do very little sitting :)

6 comments:

Paul said...

and what were you thinking of doing with your "free time" ?
love Dad

Grandma Jan said...

Challenges of a climber are hard. He looks so strong though for I know you know is a HUGE blessing. Thanks so much for the blog post. Love you all. Jan

Rob and Carrie said...

Oh, Laura, this made me laugh. I can just imagine all their antics! But I can also, sort of, imagine how tired you must be at the end of the day!

Julie Redfern said...

Wow, you have your very own personal trainers! Eric loves to jump off our coffee table too! Good luck keeping up.

Mom/Grandmama said...

Just think, about the time JP is not climbing, Luke will be starting!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I am sure your head hits the pillow thankful that everyone is in one place for a few hours. I hope John Paul learns about the joys of "sitting" at a table rather than climbing on it soon :). Love, Whitney