Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sundays

Sundays are feeling pretty strange these days.  Our international church is still having some logistical problems and not meeting.... perhaps for another month or so??!!??  We are considering pursuing some other options for Sunday morning since our family really depends on Sunday morning not just for fellowship and worship and teaching but also for a chance to hang out with some other foreigners!

And this afternoon Matt had an obligation which took him away from home for a good chunk of the day.  Thanks to nasty traffic he arrived home a lot later than he hoped.  Ugh.  The traffic can be attributed to a local holiday (most people have Monday and Tuesday off this week).  We don't really celebrate the holiday, but it does mean the girls won't have school Tuesday morning and our helper won't be here until Wednesday. 

This afternoon I decided to keep things simple and make pita bread with the kids.  (yes, you can definitely start laughing at this point!)  Last night we had dinner at a western restaurant and the pita bread sandwich left me thinking "I can make pita bread that tastes a least this good, maybe even better".  So I found a recipe and there was lots of rolling out dough, which sounded like a pretty kid friendly activity.


 
They have these miniature rolling pins in their kitchen toys collection and I knew they would enjoy an excuse to use them on real food.


So in the early afternoon I made up the dough (super easy) and when the time was right we pulled up to the table and started rolling.  I think I made a crucial mistake when I let this guy have a hunk of dough.  He was a flour-covered dough-y mouth disaster before it was all finished :) 


I really do love cooking and baking with the kids.  The end result was so tasty too - we scarfed down three huge pitas while they were still warm from the oven.  Sure, they were a smidge misshapen, and it took me fifteen minutes to clean up the kitchen table, and the chairs they sat on, and the floor underneath them. 

But it was totally worth it. 

8 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Oh, what fun! The kids will remember this day and other days they got to cook/bake with you! Know you're looking forward to regular Sunday worship and seeing your fellow foreigners for fellowship. We love you!

JBC said...

Pita bread - who knew?!? :) looks yummy!

Julie Redfern said...

The kids LOVE to cook with me too. Justin is better at handling the extra hands than I am but we are getting there! I bet the pita bread was great and would be even better with some cinnamon and sugar baked on them!!

Jane Ostlie said...

This is the first time I've checked your blog; found the address in your newsletter. We are happy to hear how things are going. My daughter Hannah and I are going to bake some banana bread now!

Jaci said...

Cool! And sounds yummy! I wish I liked to bake...I love to cook but not so much to bake. I know my kids would love it if I did though!! I like your flour covered, dough eating sweet boy! :)

Leslie said...

You can pretend it is spring break week...we are on spring break this week, so I have all the kids at home also. So far, we have played LOTS of Legos. What have you done?

Anonymous said...

Y'all will be making biscuits too someday I bet. :-)

David Lee

Anonymous said...

Great times in the kitchen & "raw" dough is just the best appetizer for all the fun!
Love BN