Friday, April 1, 2011

it turns out I get a little restless...

The last three days Matt and I attended a Red Cross sponsored training (here in our city) where we learned how to teach a life-skills curriculum here in China.  I LOVE the curriculum.... I think the content is right on target and has lots of potential to really enhance and encourage many of the things we already engage in while we are here.  But, the three days of trainings have been quite the shock to my days!

I hesitated to even commit to the training, because I just didn't know who would be available to watch my kids while I was gone - remember, we are in a new city and don't have a lot of established relationships!  But, the Lord quickly provided three different people (one for each day) to help out, and I signed up.  (I must have the certification in order to teach on the university campus, and even though I am not sure that I will have opportunity to teach in the coming months, this was definitely the best opportunity for me to go ahead and get certified.)  

And, in addition to the material and content, I learned a few other things....

1. ..... I have apparently forgotten how to sit still for long periods of time :)  By mid-morning I was like a restless first grader in the back of the classroom!  I once leaned over to Matt and said "I just never really sit like this, I'm so restless, this is so out of my 'normal' day that it feels weird!" 

2. .... My respect for moms who work outside the home deepened considerably.  To spend all day away from home and come back to dishes and supper and housework was no treat!  I was switching clothes from the washer to the dryer at 10pm.  Not my favorite way to close out the day!

3. .....I really do love to be home.  Just LOVE it.  So, while I am glad that I will soon be a certified lecturer for this course and it was really neat to be able to spend some days with Matt and I really do hope that I get to teach the course (maybe team-teach with Matt??!!) one day..... I am also glad to be spending my days at home with my kiddos. 

The kids were super stars.  In a very abnormal week they did GREAT!  So grateful for that, since it would have been hard for me to concentrate if I knew they were struggling. 

So tomorrow starts back-to-normal for us after a few weeks of not so normal (Matt traveling, family visiting, this Red Cross training).  Matt will be working and a friend is coming out to visit for the day.  If you're looking for me I'll be right here.  AT HOME :) 

2 comments:

JBC said...

Sounds like a neat seminar! Happy you had the opportunity to take that with Matt :).

Julie Redfern said...

I wouldn't be able to sit still or focus either. Too many years spent doing way too many things at one time with the kids! Glad you had a good time with Matt though.