Monday, April 25, 2011

our easter garden

One of the coolest things we did this year to prepare for and celebrate Easter was make an Easter garden.  Earlier in the week the kids and I filled a aluminum pan with dirt and added little plants, rocks and flowers to make a miniature garden.

On Thursday we added a pipe cleaner Jesus, praying in the garden.


Friday morning we put our Jesus on the cross


and then that evening we wrapped him in a little piece of white fabric, laid him in the (potato) tomb and shut the door tight.


All day Saturday we waited, and by the end of the evening, everything in our garden was withered or dead.  We talked about how hopeless the disciples must have felt, and tossed all the dead stuff, leaving behind a pretty hopeless looking garden.   


Then early Easter morning I ran out to clip some flowers growing around our complex and transformed our Easter garden.  The stone was rolled back, the tomb was empty, and an angel stood announcing the news!


When the kids ran out to the living room Easter morning this was the first thing they saw and they LOVED it!! 

7 comments:

JBC said...

What a lovely idea! I'm sure the kids enjoyed that immensely.

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

Great idea! Will have to try next year - is there symbolism with the # of rocks? Were there 12 or am I not able to see clearly?

The Huffmans said...

Happy Easter! Love the garden! you getting those flowers reminds me of when I got the branches for my thanksgiving tree.

Mom/Grandmama said...

What a great way to bring the crucifixion story alive for small children - I know they were excited (but not surprised) to find the empty tomb. Love you!

Grandma Jan said...

What an awesome idea,Laura. Love, Grandma Jan
Miss you all tons!!!

Julie Redfern said...

I agree, what a fantastic idea! I will have to remember that for next year.

Jaci said...

SOOOOOO cute!! Great idea and I can see why they loved it! I may have to steal that next year...:-) Thanks!!