Saturday, August 26, 2017

first day of school!

Here's how Matt and I spent the first day of school!  Lunch picnic date at the park!  


This whole "all the kids are in school" is a brand new thing for us, but so far the lunch date seems pretty perfect!  On the whole though, it's a huge adjustment for everyone, well, maybe not so much Matt, but definitely me and the kids.  I really love schooling them, and I enjoy having them home with me, so while I'm confident this is a great plan for our fall semester, it's not like I've been counting down the days till they leave the house.  I feel a little unsure about how to use all my time, and I miss knowing the details of their days.

They all had a great first week!  Three days was just about perfect for them to start, and I'm glad for a weekend too.


{Dollar Tree is definitely one of my favorite American stores.... I'm trying to cut back and only go twice a week! ha!  Wednesday afternoon I was there loading up on helium balloons as a "welcome home from the first day" front porch surprise!}

And here they are - first day of school posing with their teachers!


Sixth grade is a huge adjustment, especially as the new kid.  So far, so good, but she did say, "It's way different for me, the others have been at this school and watched the middle schoolers down the hall, I'm learning everything new, everything."  I'm so thankful these classmates remember her (from 2nd grade) and so many of the parents too have said "welcome back" and "it's good to have you again".  Of Julianna's 11 classmates, all but one of them were with her in 2nd grade too.


I was expecting the adjustment to be hardest for my Lydia, who loves consistency and loves to be home with me.  Our lifestyle is a little more high change than she prefers!  But I can see God's good provision in so many ways.  Lydia's teacher goes to our church so they had several opportunities to visit before the first day, and Lydia's class is the smallest - Lydia is one of 9 students, only two other girls (who are glad to welcome a little extra female presence to the 5th grade classroom!).


Isaac is thrilled to be at school and prayed on Thursday morning that "all the days would be as good as the first one".  They are studying American history (probably his fave topic) and he's learning names of his classmates and is full of gym and recess stories.  His "not so great" part of day #2 was that "my teacher didn't pass out our books yet"!   He loves his student planner where he records his homework and it's going to be a good fall for my 3rd grade boy!


John Paul's first shot at formal schooling - and he is ready!  I'm wondering how well he will do at sitting still but this isn't his teacher's first go-round with 6 year old boys, so I'm thinking she is ready for him.  She sent a postcard to her students before the first day and told them they would be studying bugs, and they were welcome to bring one along to school.  John Paul could definitely win the "most likely to have a bug in his pocket" award most any day of the week, but his teacher specified the bugs should be transported in a closed container.  On Tuesday John Paul caught and container-ed his bugs and went to school prepared :)


and my baby, Luke.  He's actually my first kindergartener because I've chosen to delay homeschool and start my people in first grade.  But there's a first time for everything, and here I've got a kindergartener and he is doing great!  He is also exhausted!  It's a long day for a 5 year old and he sleeps long at night to make up for it!  We've been seeing his teacher around town since we arrived, and she's got so much experience and only 12 little ones, so I'm thinking this is going to be a great fall for Luke!

and the first week is in the books!  so thankful for this season and this school!

3 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

So awesome that they had such great first days! Hoping and praying it continues for them!

Paul said...

looks like a great start, and transitions for all!
love Dad

Grandmama said...

Praying for a great year for each of you!