Monday, July 24, 2017

road time

Back in Raleigh after the beach trip and we have been on the go quite a bit.  First up, a trip to Lake Gaston and a chance to flex our lake-play muscles.  Turns out we all like the jet ski :)


And then Sunday we were out at NorthWake in the morning and again that evening for a picnic with our sweet friends there (from the first year of our marriage)!




{Monday I took the afternoon and went to meet three precious friends from Asia and it was amazing and I didn't take one picture - probably because I was too busy talking!}

Tuesday we went on a little "heritage tour" - visiting the places that both my Mom and Dad grew up (and where I visited my grandparents!)

First, 620 in Graham, which is in disrepair and in the process of being sold to a developer. So glad I got to see it one last time.


We also went to my Grandparents gravesite



and then back on the highway to Charlotte to see the farm where my mom was raised and all the aunts and uncles who still live right in that area.  First lunch at my Aunt Betty's and the boys were captivated by just about everything.  Then on to the farm where we searched for the brand new baby burro (who we got plenty close to but didn't pet because Momma burro thought we were a bit of an intimidating crowd). Daddy burro was less particular and very sociable.


Burros help protect calves from coyotes.  Although I cannot imagine this guy getting in a fight with a coyote, apparently that's just what he will do..... so the burros share pasture with the cows.  Then (all hot and sweaty) we went swimming at Aunt Cathy's pool and the whole crowd gathered again for more food in her backyard :)


So Tuesday night we drove home and at this point I've stopped adding up mileage or hours in the car but we knew we needed a break from the car on Wednesday :)

But all of our trips, little and long, have been amazing and I can't imagine having missed one minute of even one of them.  I'm grateful that God is really sustaining us and we are rocking the car-hours (praise the Lord because we have a big drive on the horizon and road trips have not always been our strong suit!)

We rested up on Wednesday and Thursday morning early?  on the road again!

1 comment:

Julie Redfern said...

So glad you are having all the opportunities to see family! I know the whirl-wind feeling all too well!!