Thursday, April 13, 2017

another Bible reader in the family

In our little world, this is a really big deal.  John Paul read the entire Beginners Bible.  It's over 500 pages!  And he sounded out oh-so-many words.  Some of them over and over and over again!

We started late last fall, and it was challenging.  But I knew he would improve so much, and gain speed, and confidence, and ability as he read!  And he did.  Thanks to a month long break in February we got a bit off track but once we picked it back up he was motivated to get it done.  We read most every weekday for about 10 minutes, a chapter a day, day after day.


With this big milestone he earns his own real Bible (and unfortunately it crept up on me and I didn't have one ordered and ...... mom fail... but JP is willing to wait for his slacker mom to get her act together!)

I love so many things about this challenge (that we have now had 4 kids accomplish!).  I love watching their reading improve.  I love the stories planted in their hearts.  I love the sense of accomplishment and hard work and determination to get through a 500 page book!  But mostly I love all the cuddles on the couch, little heads tucked against my shoulder, reading the story of God's great love for His people.

For John Paul ... well, maybe I'm even a bit prouder than with my others.  For a kid who learned a second language at 19 months, couldn't speak a single meaningful syllable until after his second major surgery, didn't have an understandable expressive word until his 3rd birthday... You are a pretty amazing boy John Paul.  And I am so glad you are mine!

3 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

So amazing! What a great tradition.

Grandmama said...

John Paul - we are so proud of you! What a great effort to finish your beginner's Bible so you can get your own Bible to read! You earned it!

Paul said...

proud of you John Paul and thankful for you
love
your Granddaddy