Sunday, July 24, 2016

it's over (our last week)

Our final week of training is over.  The weeks here just flew by - and we have had a blast all summer long.  Thankfully we still have exactly one week before our flight, and I've got a bit of packing today (and we are expecting a visit from my cousin Julie and her kids!!!).

This morning I started in on the shopping.  Our summer schedule was so full that I had not made one teeny bit of progress on my "list of things to take back to china with us".  But today I shopped hard, and pretty much finished my list!!  When I got home and unloaded the loot Matt and I decided to go ahead a pack two bags.  Feels good to have a bit more loaded and zipped luggage.

Then he left for a long mountain bike ride (his knee is healing nicely and he'll get the stitches out in just a few more days).  And the kids played hard in the courtyard.  There were several sad goodbyes this morning and then again this evening. Oh the harsh reality of a transient lifestyle - we really get attached to the people we are with and it's so hard to say goodbye.

We joked often that life here is a bit like living in a commune (not like I know what a commune is like, but...)

And life in the commune is pretty nice :)  But the commune is emptying out - and by tomorrow noon almost everyone will be gone.  I'm sad to see them go but also looking forward to a bit of quiet and a slower pace for the next week before we head to the airport.

The kids were part of an evening celebration earlier this week.


It was a really special time.


The big three all had speaking parts and Julianna sang a solo!  She was nervous and did a great job!  So proud of her :)


Costumes for part of the show ..


Some of these people we will see again, and some we might not.  Most of the kids best buddies from the summer don't live anywhere near us!  But our paths might cross again one day and we would love that!  And I'm so thankful that we are soon returning to a land we call home, with lots of dear friends who are waiting for us and sending us "come quick" and "hurry back" text messages!


No comments: