Tuesday, July 7, 2015

summer days, pool days

My walk to the print shop took me over this highway.  I had the girls along and we enjoyed a quick errand outing before picking the boys up from school.


Today we crossed again, on the way to the pool (and on scooters, not roller blades).  Our new favorite pool is a short walk from our apartment and it's the perfect length for scooters and getting hot on the way there and drying off a bit on the way home.

Tomorrow is a big day for Julianna.  She is going on a work trip with Matt!  After so many many times of watching Daddy leave for the airport/train station she's joining him.  She told me tonight that she's a bit nervous because she doesn't know what to expect.  She's a travel whiz-kiddo, with thousands of miles of experience, but a trip 'on her own' with Dad is a new thing.

They fly out tomorrow morning and return on an overnight train Thursday.  It's a short quick trip and perfect for her to join.  Isaac is already clamoring for his turn, but it'll probably be a while.  Most of Matt's trips would bore any child to tears, but this is the perfect one for her to join and he's excited to take her along - and it should be plenty entertaining (i.e. not too many meetings!)

I'm bummed for two reasons.  One, I'm just not a fan of the travel.  It's my reality, and it's a big part of Matt's role, but I don't like it.  And he hasn't travelled much recently, but this short trip is the beginning of a short bit of crazy that will lead into plenty of travel crazy this fall.

Two, Matt is taking my sidekick-helper-daughter who is just gift to me.  Yes, she's nine.  She struggles, we struggle... but she's also just tremendous blessing.  And I will miss her.

It'll be interesting to watch the family dynamics sort themselves out over the next few days.  And we'll be thankful to be together again when the traveling duo returns home.

No comments: