Monday, July 6, 2015

oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave

This Fourth of July will go down in history as the day I realized my kids did not recognize the national anthem.

Ack!  But of course they don't!  The number of U.S. sporting events they've attended can be counted on one hand.  I think we've only spent one 4th of July in the United States since Julianna was born (2010).

So I sang it to them today.  [glad you missed it, huh?]

We spent a big chunk of the morning playing with these craft sticks I ordered online.



My little American flag creation is what inspired the singing.



This is the first time I've ever seen colored craft sticks.  We're hooked.  Simple easy fun that even the littlest can participate in.




Matt did a little 'crafting' of his own, but traded the glue for power tools and the craft sticks for a quick trip to the home improvement store.




This is our entry porch.  It's one of my top ten favorite things about our apartment.  The brown door on Matt's right exits to the 2nd floor landing.  The door in front of Matt is a closet that holds outdoor gear for a family of 7.  It's full, but Matt has engineered a few creative fixes that maximize the space.  

I took the picture standing in the doorway to our apartment.  The floor is usually a bit more cluttered but Matt picked up the debris before he started drilling.  The rest of the porch is littered with shoes and roller blades and two spots to sit while putting on shoes and a wall full of hooks (backpacks, jackets, hats) and even a utility sink.  The whole spot is just heavenly.  And now it's decorated with a  hanging road bike :)





[Clutter-free floor.  The hooks wall is opposite the closet.]

We finished the day at a little friend's birthday party.  And then yesterday went searching for a park with fountains to run through.  Our first try came up empty but at the second spot we struck gold.


I'm looking out my window at beautiful blue skies again today and planning to walk to a nearby print shop and get some things printed and ready for home school to start up again this fall!



1 comment:

Mom said...

Loving that your summer got off to a great start! Love you all!