Friday, August 6, 2010

learning to speak the language

Every place tends to have a language of its own.  Not a Big - L Language like Russian or Japanese or Spanish but a little - l language: specific words and phrases that are unique to an area, that all the locals know and use, but that might cause an 'outsider' to pause for a moment.

We are busy learning to speak the language here - and apparently succeeding, since in the past few weeks I have had several folks (not locals!) tell me "you are starting to talk like you are from there".  My father-in-law clarified that a statement like that is a compliment :) 

The kids too are learning to speak this language.  And right now a lot of it revolves around crops.  We love the big fields, and you don't have to drive too far in any direction before you are out of town and surrounded by them.  So the girls are learning to identify what they see.  Isaac mostly identifies trucks and tractors which works just fine, since there seem to be plenty of both. 

The girls each claim their side of the road (closest to their window) and pretend they are eating what they see.  (A bit of a ridiculous game, but they came up with it and enjoy it, so that's that.)

"Lydia, I'm eating wheat and you are eating soybeans."  

"mom, mom...... Mom, MOM..... MOM, can you hear me?  What am I eating now?" 

"It's sugar wheats Julianna, I am eating sugar wheats."  [No idea why she insists on calling them sugar wheats instead of sugar beets, but I have given up arguing with her on this one.  You gotta pick your battles, you know?]

Wednesday morning we went to a friend's home to gather some produce from their h-u-g-e garden since they are on a trip and can't eat it up themselves.  We loaded up on corn, onions, tomatoes, and a lifetime supply of cucumbers.  Seriously, if you are in the area and craving cucumber, let me know, cause I have bags full :) 

The girls LOVED picking and stayed engaged much longer than I anticipated.  Isaac quickly became distracted by a small tractor and spent 98% of his time pretending to drive it.  No camera so I missed some super cute photos.

We brought the goodies home and the girls helped me shuck corn. 


In a different setting at a different time, this might qualify as a chore, but for two little ladies who are learning the language here, it qualified as pure entertainment.  


[Yes, she is wearing a leotard and ballet skirt.  Just perfect for an afternoon of corn shucking.]

No shucking from Isaac but he chipped in at dinner.  8 hours after we picked it, fresh on the table (with a cucumber and onion salad on the side) - 

YUM. 


6 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

What fun! You're making memories now! Love you all bunches!

Leslie said...

Sounds delicious. I wish we could join you for some fresh corn. I have a friend from the mid-west who says there is nothing better than fresh corn. The grocery store variety doesn't even come close.

We are pickling this weekend with some cucumbers that our neighbors gave us. Do you want to come over with yours and join us? Wouldn't that be fun! Otherwise, let me know if you just want a really good recipe.

Paul said...

the ballet skirt is as fitting as the cowboy hat and guns her grandparents wore shucking corn some years ago.
loved the photos and story telling
GrandDad

JBC said...

I think I had a tear in my eye when I saw that leotard/ballet skirt combo!

Julie Redfern said...

Love the leo/skirt combo. What the picture doesn't show is that the leo is actually one that has shorts!! Looks like Isaac sure enjoyed the corn. After being in MI for 15 months I still don't speak like a local!! I will still have people ask me where am I from! Love Julie

Susan said...

I miss yall so so much! Look at their faces. So adorable.