Monday, July 12, 2010

the view from here

After church Matt and I drove about an hour south to meet some friends who were passing through the area (Marc and Jennifer, what a treat to be with you this afternoon!) 

For those of you who aren't "from 'round here", you should know that there are very few exits on the entire 75 mile drive (on an interstate highway).  Most of the exit ramps end at a lonely piece of paved blacktop.  At the top of the ramp you have a choice.  You can turn east, towards sun and sky and big fields.  Or you can turn west, towards sun and sky and more big fields.  There is no gas station, no fast food joint.  Just road and sun and sky. 


Most of the time, the view looks like this....


 .... except prettier.  Because you know a camera could never capture that much blue, that much green, and that much wide open sky.  


After years in a country that puts new meaning to the word crowded, drives like this feed my soul.  I love it.  I love the emptiness.  I love the space.  I love the bigness, the vastness, the "I'm super small and the sky is super big" feeling.  


Come visit.  You will love the view from here :) 
 

2 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

You're right, a single photo cannot do the landscape justice. although the "vast lane" print certainly captures the openness but not all the beauty of a summer day. Your Grandmother Doris yearned for the black soil of ND.

Anonymous said...

What a great perspective! And I'm sure your soul is enjoying all the open, un-crowded space!
Can't wait to see you guys!
Susan