Thursday, July 8, 2010

home sweet which home

I am hopeful that tonight could be the night we beat jet lag once and for all.  The girls and Matt have already declared victory, but Isaac is still fighting, which means I am still fighting :)

In all other realms, I'd say we're getting closer and closer to settled.  I've cooked dinner the past two nights, the kids (mostly) know their way around the house, I paid one dollar to replace my long lost library card, and we've taken a few good walks around the neighborhood.  



(That is our house in the background.)







Isaac traded the pink stroller (his favorite toy in our China apartment) for this sporty red wagon.  All in all, it was a good move for the little man :) 



I grabbed a few baskets and added some craft supplies - crayons are crayons and sisters are sisters, no matter what side of the globe you call home.  






But there are reminders that this new home still feels new.  Like this afternoon when Lydia headed for the bathroom and mistakenly opened the wrong door :)  And every time we're out and I say "ok, time to head home now" Lydia asks "which home?"  

Toss in a few strange comments from the girls each day, and it's hard to forget that we are far away from what we knew as home.  

This afternoon while the little two napped Julianna and I headed for Target.  About halfway there (ie five minutes down the road) I hear her little voice coming from the back seat. 

"There are no Chinese people in America."

"Oh yes there are sweetie, we just haven't seen any yet.  God is so creative. There are all kinds of people everywhere in the world.   We'll just have to keep our eyes open and look around."    

Well, that little "keep your eyes open" comment paid off big time about 30 minutes later when the two of us are cruising through Target and Julianna announces "Mom, I just saw some African people".  

Good news is, I'm pretty sure they didn't hear us. 

My absolute favorite comment from the Target shopping trip?  "Where is the end of this store?" 

.... which makes total sense when you remember that she has spent most of her life shopping in stores small enough that she and her sister wander aimlessly around while I pick up the few things I need and the entire purchase fits in the stroller basket. 


4 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

Love comments like that and am always thankful that most of the time the talked about persons don't hear us. Will still tells me he wants to go home while laying in his bed here! He thinks MD is "home" even after a year of living here. I don't think that question will stop for quite a while since you will be heading to a new home in 6 months!! Love Julie

Paul said...

I can identify with the Target comment. I fear getting separated from Patt and not being able to find and her get out again. They are to big, like some of the new grocery stores.

and glad jet lag is out of most of the beds
love Dad/GrandDad

Karen said...

Laura, y'all should visit DC. I answered the phone at work today and it was the Chinese Embassy. No lie. They had the wrong number though. They wanted to know what time our embassy reception was tonight... I don't work at an embassy. Anyways, there are lots of Africans here-specifically Ethiopians- lots and lots of Ethiopians... which is a good thing b/c their restaurants are fantastic.

Love your kids "-isms"- so funny!

Anonymous said...

Your America pictures are just as precious as your past home pictures! Too, the smiles on all the faces, the determination of the "mower guy" are so very sweet.
We're awaiting a GF visit soon. Love BN