Sunday, December 6, 2009

re-gifting

Re-gifting. I think it's a term that usually refers to wedding gifts that you didn't like... wrap them up and give them to someone else. Voila. You re-gifted.

In our house, re-gifting is a bit different. It's watching a younger child begin to enjoy something that our older ones have already been enjoying. I LOVE it!

My girls liked this swing. A lot. They still like it.... All three of our kids are in and out of the swing regularly.

But Isaac is my first who really loves this swing. I mean loves this swing. When I hang it up he squeals with delight. When I buckle him in he quivers with excitement. I give him a big push and he kicks and laughs. So fun.



Since we live in an apartment, the swing is hung inside. Not super typical, but it works great for us.

When 5pm rolls around and Isaac is getting fussy and dinner needs to be cooked, I get out the swing. I give him a big push and head to the kitchen. I chop the vegetables, start the water boiling, preheat the oven, and look over my shoulder at Isaac's big grin.

Depending on your perspective, Isaac's either in the worst position, or the best.

Sure, he gets lots of "previously enjoyed" stuff. But he also gets the best of the best. The toys that withstood the test of time. The ones that will probably never make it to our give-away pile. It's like having two big sister toy evaluators - and best of all, he gets to listen to their delight as he enjoys his 'new' stuff!

PS - We've got at least one more 'money in the bank he will definitely LOVE this' re-gift coming up this Christmas.... it was Julianna's 1st birthday present, and Lydia's first birthday present and this December it's got gift tag marked "ISAAC"! Perfect.

Any guesses as to what he's getting?

5 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

The music table? That would be my guess. So glad Isaac loves that swing - perfect for the witching hour around dinner time. What a sweet face - I think Isaac definitely has some Crissman facial features! We love you all bunches!

Paul said...

The set of encyclopedias and the Latin dictionary. I know how much Lydia enjoys reading the dictionary and Julianna reading cover to cover the set.

love GrandDad

Paul said...

it could also be the chemistry set or the analytic physics lab kit.

GrandDad

JBC said...

Hmmmm, some kind of car thing - to be specific :). Glad to see you all are enjoying the Christmas season! We just hung our stockings and are looking for frames for some of Julianna's beautiful coloring. We'd love some from Isaac and Lydia too!

Anonymous said...

A copy of Mao's little red book? A great read. SCC