Sunday, January 10, 2016

ticking off days

This was one of those weeks that just flew by.  And I'm thankful, since weeks in January don't tend to fly as fast as I'd like them to.

Both schools (home and local) are still going strong and we will be well past the halfway point in the year before we take our long break in February.  I guess the nice thing about that is we come home to just a few short months of school before summer.  The difficult thing is we are all just about ready for a real break!


I spent a few of the afternoons getting Christmas put away and re-assuring the little two that Christmas would come again next year.  They were no big fans of the putting away part of Christmas.



We continue to spend inordinate amounts of time with both Legos (see the float plane in John Paul's hands?) and matchbox cars.   A new fleet of matchbox for Christmas really spiced things up and if you look closely you'll also see several lego vehicles in the collection pictured.

We have not quite two weeks before Matt leaves on a long trip and my to-do list includes a bit of shopping and trip-prep and my goal is to only buy fruits and veggies between now and our departure (clearing the fridge and freezer and pantry of all sorts of excess).   By the end we'll surely be eating a few interesting meal combinations but for now I've got lots of everything to choose from.

Tonight the little boys are already snoozing, Matt is reading Narnia to the bigs and I'm contemplating an early bedtime :)  With the big kids I just finished a terrific book (Bound for Oregon) and last night we started My Side of the Mountain.  One of our super-fun Christmas gifts was the entire set of Magic Tree House (books 1-49).  I've been reading them aloud to the little guys - John Paul has been ready to engage in this kind of read-aloud for a while but it took Luke a bit longer to track with them. John Paul's patience is paying off and it's fun to be entering this stage with the younger two boys (though I still read plenty of short picture books as well, and always George, lots and lots and lots of Curious George).


2 comments:

Krisanne said...

Jonah LOVES those books, too, fun that John Paul and Luke are reading them as well! I'm thankful we have some friends in town who own all of them, so between their Boxcar Children collection and Magic Tree House collection, it's almost like we have a little library to go to. Almost... ;-)

Grandmama said...

Glad you are all enjoying the Tree House books!