Wednesday, July 16, 2008

because I want to

Meals are not the most stellar moments of our day. We eat breakfast and lunch in a big dining room, buffet-style, on tablecloth covered tables, with real (breakable) plates and glasses. I've mentioned in an earlier post that my current "survive mealtime strategy" involves taking the tablecloth off the table... if I don't, I spend most of the meal trying to prevent Lydia from dragging the tablecloth to the floor. Despite my attempts at keeping our damage to a minimum, we've already broken two glasses.

To add to the fun, Matt's morning meetings get out at about 12:30, at which point a BIG line forms for the buffet. So, the girls and I (and all the other moms and kiddos at the conference) hit the lunch room about noon, to reduce chaos. I get the kids seated, run to the food line and load up the plates with all kinds of goodies. Then, back to the table to feed kids. Lydia eats 100% table food, but it does need to be cut in small pieces. That's a LOT of cutting. So, I sit at the table, cutting Thai-style-cooked veggies into into bite sized bits and trying to re-direct Julianna's attention back to her plate. With about 30 kids in the room, there is LOTS to distract her.

Try doing that meal scene, twice a day, 23 days in a row! We're all getting a little weary of the meal-time chaos. This morning looked over at Julianna at the end of breakfast and she was crying.

"Julianna, why are you crying?" I asked.

"Because I want to" she answered.

Well, sweetie, I can't help you if you are crying because you want to. But, to be completely honest, I sometimes feel a bit like crying during meals too, so I understand.

Thankfully, dinner provides a much needed respite from the breakfast/lunch scene. I love having Matt around to help, and the girls enjoy eating somewhere a little quieter and less chaotic. Tonight we are ordering pizza to eat at the hotel pool. Now, that sounds like a much better option! But, with lunch on the horizon, we've got one more dose of chaos to endure before our pool-side pizza.

4 comments:

Patt said...

Wow, sounds like being at a camp mess hall! Fun for the kids - to a point. I remember being in the Camp Seagull mess hall when Stephen was a counselor - I was sooo glad when the mass bedlam was over! Can you take food out of the mess hall? Maybe a lawn picnic with just a few friends and paper plates and cups? Love, Mom/Grandmama

Paul said...

wish I was there to "hold you" (as one of you said) Julianna

GrandDad

Anonymous said...

Will is now saying the "hold you" and Caroline did too. Meals are difficult no matter where you are. Espically if you are trying to eat too. We eat on our back porch as much as possible so that the birds and squirrels can eat the crumbs!
Good luck, Love Julie

Kristi said...

Yes...sometimes we just need to cry "because we WANT to"...I hear ya, Julianna!!

What crazy meal-times you are having!! What an adventure you guys are on!