Wednesday, May 9, 2018

rain on a Wednesday. Can I start this blog again?

Well, it's happened again.  I'm so far behind that I don't know how to catch up.  Maybe I'm done blogging?  I'm not sure.  I loved it, and still love it, and I'm so so so thankful for the books of memories.  That's my favorite part, so maybe I need to figure out a way to put our year into a book? I'm not sure.

Regardless, here I am.  A rainy Wednesday morning.  And I'm motivated to get a few more pictures and a few more stories on this page.

I think I'll try to squeeze April into one post? Or maybe two?

April was gorgeous, so many sunny days, moderate temperatures, and lots of outdoor play.  We transitioned into shorts (though this morning it's shorts and sweatshirts) and dirty knees are everywhere!


We've filled our mornings with school.  I am thankful to be in a good groove and though we are working on some kinks (every day, right?)... mostly the schedule runs smooth.  The girls are working hard on math and writing and we read piles and piles of books.  A spring highlight is definitely having EVERYONE home all day long!  It's a full house, but I just love it.  We eat lunch about 12:30 and after a quick clean up it's read aloud.  Our recent favorites are The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Tucket's Travels series and yesterday I started Tuck Everlasting and if the rain keeps falling we just might finish it today!


Luke is making great progress with his reading!  It's fun to see him engaging with the words in the world around him!


And, well, everyone is reading (also this picture is notable because the girls had just cleaned their room!!  hallelujah!)


And we are crazy about card games.  Crazy.  If there is a maximum number of hours a child could possibly play Rummy, well, we've hit it.  I like to think this doubles as math class - lots of patterns and adding and it does involve sitting still (which is a school skill we are still polishing!)

When I'm not schooling, well, the hours get filled quickly.  I helped coach homeschool swim team (more on that in a second April post) and the new apartment renovations require more decisions than I care to make.  But, I'm making them.... with a lot of help from friends who are more wired for that sort of thing!

We moved some walls (tore out a closet and reduced the sized of the utility porch) and in our new apartment we will have a school room!! I'm thrilled!  The doorway for the room is awkwardly tall (2.4 meters!!) and there's no natural place to put a swinging door.  So... barn doors were the answer.  I can buy the frame to hang them online, and the only other piece was to find an antique door that would fit.


But we did :)  Antique is actually way cheaper than having something custom made (I got a pair of antique doors for less than $100!). But it did take a little searching.  I'm looking forward to seeing them hung in our new apartment... but that's a few weeks away, as we are still waiting on flooring, and tiling and kitchen/bathroom cabinetry.  Sigh.

At the antique market Julianna spotted a pile of newspapers and asked if she could have them.  "I've been thinking of trying some paper mache," she explained.  This girl ALWAYS has a craft idea rolling around in the back of her brain!  So she started right in, and it was a messy fun way to fill several afternoons!


And speaking of filling the afternoons, Luke spent hours assembling this Lego RV!


Ok, that might be enough for April (when I throw in a post about homeschool swimming!)

Hopefully I'll miss fewer everyday moments in May!


1 comment:

Julie Redfern said...

I am right there with you with not posting!! But yay for all the fun you've been having and for coaching!