Saturday, August 17, 2013

now we are six

When I was one I had just begun
When I was two I was nearly new

When I was three I was hardly me
When I was four I was not much more

When I was five I was just alive
But now I am six, I'm as clever as clever;

So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever. 


A.A. Milne

I think six is a great age.  At least one of my favorites so far.  So big, and still so small.  But really, when I stop to think about it, there are so many great things about every age (and they each have their challenges too).  So best is just to choose to enjoy every single year?  Yes.  And be thankful that we have it... the year, and the child :)

Lydia and Matt started the day with a breakfast date, such a special way for Matt to love this daughter, and she glowed (in her fancy dress and he woke her up with a whispered "Lydia, it's your birthday, time for our date" which might be the best way to wake up on a sixth birthday). 


Post-date it was time for some family gifts. 


No one wants to miss a bit of the fun.  Julianna gave her a bell for her bike and Isaac gave her a princess movie.  The littlest two brothers gave kisses :)  And she's the thrilled new owner of a pink Lego carrying case and lots of girly Lego accessories.  My Lydia has a brain like her Daddy, and Legos are a great outlet for all that engineering-like energy. 


Skype-dates and new-toy-playtime and lunch (mac n cheese request) and picking up a spend the night friend (Callie) and more playtime and a little frosting the cake snack/decor. 




When the birthday cake hit the table excitement levels were high :)


And there's nothing quite like candles lit in your honor :)




Movie night in the living room capped off the celebrating. 



Happy Birthday Lydia.  We love your dearest second-born.  You are a good gift and a perfect gift for me.

3 comments:

Grandma Jan said...

Happy Birthday Lydia. We love you tons and are so glad for you too. Glad you had a wonderful birthday. Love you and love your whole family. Grandma Jan

Anonymous said...

From Mornings Daddy greeting to siblings movie showing, Lydia you had a day as special as YOU!
Love to 6 year old,Lydia
From gr aunt BN with a 6 in her age too!

Grandmama said...

Late happy 6th birthday, Lydia. Looks like you had a very special day! We love you and miss you all! Grandmama