Friday, August 9, 2013

5 days with two

Today is our last day.  In just a few hours we'll check out, head to the U.S. Embassy for John Paul's passport, and then straight to the airport for our flight home.

Yesterday morning, dropping off all his documents.  When the process is complete John Paul will be the fourth of our five children to use a certificate of citizenship to claim U.S. citizenship.  Only Lydia was born in the States and claims citizenship with her birth certificate. 

We. Are. Ready. 

Boarding for our flight here.  I'm prepared for a long night at the airport and a much-delayed flight (like almost all flights here... ugh) but still hoping that the smiles stay big and maybe even that we land at a decent hour. 

I am so eager to get back home. 

But we've also had a great time these five days here .... so fun for these two to really spend lots of exclusive time together.  I've enjoyed hours with Lydia and John Paul and missed my other three desperately.  Luke strains to get inside the computer when we Skype.  And I miss Isaac's voice, and Julianna tells me - often - she "needs me to come home right NOW".  And I MISS MATT!!!










Mostly, it's been a really enjoyable trip.  Lydia and John Paul have been absolutely incredible.  Perfect little travel companions :)  The age difference between them (3 years) seems to be a great fit for a trip like this - plenty of fun together but also a strong older/younger dynamic going on.  And Lydia is my least likely to get bored in this situation too, she spent hours in the pool perfecting her handstand while John Paul plunged off the wall over and over and over and over again.  When John Paul swims he spends 90% of his time jumping in, getting out, jumping in again, repeat. 

I've eaten more meals with these two as my dates than ever before (and possibly ever again!) 


Matt (with lots of help) has done a stellar job as full-time Daddy.  But we are ready to be together again too - this has been a weird dynamic, most other times it's him on the road and me at home. 

I'm off to play some cards with Lydia (John Paul taking an early nap) before our 3pm departure for the embassy/airport!  Woohoo!  WE ARE HEADED HOME!!!!!

1 comment:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Glad you had a fun, successful and memorable trip. We love seeing/ experiencing your story through your photos. We love you all bunches!