Saturday, June 1, 2013

my teacher's class

This semester I taught one of Matt's classes.  It's a very informal arrangement (and a very informal class for that matter) and although it didn't work out quite as smoothly as I hoped, I'm still really glad I did it.

[The not quite so smooth part .... originally Matt thought he'd be able to watch the kids while I taught (2 hrs Friday afternoon) but in actuality he was rarely available and I scrambled for child care, which was somewhat stressful.  But, we're up for trying again next semester, depending on the class timing.  I really do enjoy a chance to do something outside my typical realm of responsibility, and I really really enjoy the students.]

So, my students were teachers - university teachers - with very advanced degrees in very skilled sciences like optoelectronics and telecommunications engineering.  It would have been intimidating to teach them anything BUT English - my engineering skills are limited but my English is quite good :)

The class is small, the students (teachers?) are eager to learn, and they already have strong backgrounds in English - but very few opportunities to practice speaking and listening.

I invited them to my house for our final class.  So fun!  It's a pretty relaxed classroom environment but even more fun to have them in our home! 

I prepared a sampling of food treats for them to try - yeast bread (and showed them how to spread butter), banana bread (almost always a hit), brownies (I knew they would think it was too sweet) and popcorn (popcorn here is lightly sweetened and I wanted them to know the salty goodness of hot popcorn!)



{Everything cut in small pieces so they could sample and then go back for more of the things they liked!}




I don't think I'm always this animated in front of a group of people, but maybe?!?!?  I do love things like this - I did a ton of public speaking when I worked for the UNC Admissions Office and a few weeks ago Matt and I did a lecture on campus to about 200 students. 

The woman on my left in the picture just got invited to be a visiting scholar at an American university.  She's so nervous, and excited, and full of questions!  She brought her 5 year old daughter to play with my kids during our 'class'.  The lady in the middle has a baby boy just a few months younger than Luke.  So neat to connect with those other mommas! 

But some of my students are much older than me - several of them have children in college.  It's a very eclectic group and we had a great time this semester. 

4 comments:

Grandma Jan said...

Wow Laura. Did not know about your University professor job. So kind of you to invite them into your home. So very kind, I'm sure they just loved it. Jan

Cheryl said...

Laura, I also enjoy working with internationals at UNCC. There are many Chinese here. If your student (teacher) comes here, I would be happy to help her out. I know being in your home and eating authentic American food was a real treat for them!

Julie Redfern said...

I'm not sure how you do it!! I'm sure you enjoyed getting out and doing something different.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Laura! Proving again, people have the desire to learn-& all people are teachers! You are teacher extraordinaire!
Love You, BN