Friday, April 23, 2010

Isaac and his ayi

All of my children enjoy sweet relationship with our house helper Xiao Li, whom they refer to as 'ayi' (auntie).  Familial names are really common here, so while the kids refer to many different people as 'ayi' only a few really deserve the title in the sense that we Americans would use 'aunt' to refer to a family member or really close friend. 

Xiao Li is definitely one of those people.   She is such a dear part of our life, it's almost like she is family.  Once, years ago when Julianna was small, someone even commented that she and Julianna resembled one another! 

So while Xiao Li is a super special person in all of our lives, there is something really unique about the relationship between Isaac and Xiao Li.  My little man LOVES his ayi.  


The girls like to say "Isaac thinks he is married to mommy".  And they might be right.  I am most definitely his first love.  But if he had to make a second choice, I am positive it would be Xiao Li.


In his eyes, she can do no wrong.  I love watching these two love one another.  


And I can't believe that in a few short months one will board a plane for his first ever trip to his home country, and the other will be left at the airport waving goodbye. 

1 comment:

Mom/Grandmama said...

What a sweet tribute to Xiao Li! I know you all love her dearly. And she loves your children and who doesn't benefit from one more person who loves them? Our love to Xiao Li - I know she is going to miss you! Love you all!