Saturday, January 30, 2010

packing up, heading out

I'm packing.

We leave tomorrow morning for a 5 day retreat, then come back home for 4 days, then head out again for two weeks in Indonesia!

It takes a bit of coordination to get this family off the ground. He he he. Actually, it takes a LOT of coordination.

In addition to loading up the gear, I'm trying to close down the fort here at home. It makes for some interesting meal combinations. Like the scrambled eggs and peanut butter crackers we had for lunch.

So, I realize this is random, but my head is swimming with last minute packing details and wondering when we will move our sofas in preparation for the carpet cleaners who come Monday morning.

Last night Matt and I realized that up to this point Isaac has spent his entire (10 month) life in one country. He's never left his country of birth. Beginning with next week's trip to Indonesia (including an overnight layover in Thailand) he'll start adding stamps to his fairly empty passport.

Sometimes it surprises me how much travel is part of our family's DNA. All three of our children flew at least once before they were two weeks old. Lydia flew across the Pacific when she was 4 weeks old. Julianna visited Thailand for the first time as a 6 week old. Isaac is definitely slow on the uptake, but he's got a few big trips on the calendar for this spring, so he'll catch up. Good thing he is approaching what I consider the absolutely most difficult age for travel (12-18 months)... holding Isaac on an airplane is similar to monkey wrestling. [Not that I've ever wrestled a monkey.]



Anyone got a guess as to how many countries Julianna has visited?

6 comments:

Paul said...

we used to count states - and still do - and I don't have them all yet (how do you visit Nebraska?) and there are three other way out of the way states. to the question at hand - I think I know.
happy travels
love Dad/GrandDad

Grandmama/Mom said...

How many countries - passport stamps only (no transit) - China, US, Thailand, Peru, Syria, Turkey, Egypt, Vietnam? My best guess - 8. As Dad said, we used to count states and were proud to do that! Have a wonderful retreat - hope you didn't forget too many items when packing! (It's gorgeous here this morning - bright clean snow and sleeting right now.)

Jaci said...

i say 7. hope that you have a GREAT time away ad that all the travels go as smooth as possible!!

Jeanne Gunter said...

Dear, dear Laura,
I just read from T'giving to present. You have a gift for writing; I feel as though I was there with you.
Your family is so precious.
We had snow and sleet today and have not left home!
Don't know how many countries.
You are a blessing!
Jeanne Gunter

Julie Redfern said...

I will say 9. I agree you do have a gift for writing! I wish I had just part of that! Have a great trip. Love Julie

Anonymous said...

Hum...from a great aunt who was in 6th grade before she'd seen a group of 100 people who weren't related to her, thinking of Julianna visiting countries that is a bit mind stretching. She's been to NA, SA, Eurppe? Asia...country guess 14
Graunt BN