Saturday, March 14, 2015

more Tak pictures

It's my last night in Thailand.  I leave for the airport at 5am tomorrow and will be with my family mid-afternoon!  yay for a short trip!

I have one more post of Tak pictures.  It might be a small town, and it's certainly not a tourist destination, but it really is a pretty place to live.

Town is full of narrow streets like this one - even in the dry season it's beautiful!  [and yes, hot and dry too!]


I really liked this older style Thai house.


Dad has a picture of himself and some of his students in front of this Buddhist stupa from 40 years ago.  Seemed most appropriate to take another one :)


And the riverfront area is just gorgeous.  It's not fancy, and the town doesn't have a lot of money to invest, but they are making the riverfront area a priority.... a sweet spot for residents to gather.


The Ping River is wide, and the water level low this time of year.  It's headed south to the Gulf of Thailand.


We were there at sunset.  It was captivating.  The water level is quite shallow near the banks (dry season, remember?) and the water was full of children, playing hard.  Oh they were having such a good time!





After the sun set we turned our bikes south again and headed back towards the main area of town for dinner.  This is one of the (very few) stop lights in town.


And this is the lady who made me some papaya salad.  I really dislike papaya, but I love this papaya salad, and it's never better than when it's made street side in Thailand.  Ate it again today :)


This morning (Saturday) we drove back to Chiang Mai.  And tonight I'm headed to bed with an early alarm set for the morning.  I'm eager to go home.  But I'm also so very thankful I came.  It was just a terrific trip.  Such an incredible experience, for all of us.  

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thanks for being a part of our reunion trip - made the event even more special. And thanks for all the great photos!