Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Eve at Julianna's school

I missed blogging about several really big holiday events, and I want to go back and record them, so the next few posts will be 'catch-up posts'.

On Christmas Eve we went to Julianna's school to share the Christmas story. It was very fun. I really wanted it to be a big success for Julianna and it totally was. She had a terrific time!


Matt used our advent calendar from home to help tell the Christmas story. The kids took turns taking things out of the pockets for each day, and it was fun to see them enjoy it so much. [The two blonds are both ours :) Lydia came with us, and she managed to mostly participate and not be a terribly huge distraction!]



After the story was over, Julianna passed out Christmas cookies to each of her classmates - we had made them together earlier in the week, and she was so proud to share with each of them.



All in all, it was a huge success. The teachers were so glad we could come, I think each child learned a little something about Christmas, and Julianna had a great time too.

Sometimes I wonder what it is like to be Julianna. She is doing something at age 4 that many people struggle with as adults.... trying to successfully bridge two cultures and blend into each one. Holidays are especially tricky. Her 'home' world is completely revolving around a huge holiday and her 'school' world barely acknowledges it. Hopefully events like this one will help her blend the two worlds together a bit :)

2 comments:

Paul said...

thanks for sharing such a wonderful post-- and I wonder too.
love Dad and GrandDad

Jaci said...

Very cool! I would wonder the same thing my friend...and often do wonder what it is like to by my kids in certain circumstances. When you are where God wants you...you know it's best for you both! Love you and I WILL post pictures of our home soon...maybe I will just have to do it later today so I don't put it off again!!! Thank you for praying!!