Monday, March 7, 2016

a soccer birthday party

[I'm in one of those grumpy internet moods where I want to quit everything that requires internet access.  ugh.  it seems that almost everything I tried to do today that required a functioning internet connection was a gigantic waste of time.  sigh....  but these pictures did finally load, and I'm gonna scramble to get some words on this post.]  


We celebrated Isaac's birthday last Saturday with a soccer party.  Originally I was planning to have it the weekend of the 12th but our weather was so amazing last week I changed the date on Wednesday!  I just didn't want to risk cold drizzle by waiting another week!  Our early March has just been incredible this year!


We gathered at our kids school field for some soccer fun.  


It was a large group, with lots of younger siblings and parents visiting and a fun time for just about everyone.  


Matt led some drills and then a scrimmage game.  Unfortunately during the game Isaac took a hard hit, bad fall, and got a concussion.  We didn't realize how bad it was at the time and he was back in the game fast.  And then did cake, and presents, and all with a concussion.  He is one tremendously tough kid.  

 
He told me during soccer season (last fall) that this is the cake he wanted for his birthday.  I got lucky in that a soccer field is the same dimensions (roughly) as a 9x13 :) 


You can see a shadow of the astroturf burn mark on his temple here.  But still smiling.  this is my Isaac


By midday he had collapsed into a lethargic lump on his Daddy's lap, and then threw up, and while his pupils were focusing/tracking his left eyelid was really droopy.  I called our emergency medical contact and they talked me through how to best help him.  

He was pitiful.  But by Sunday morning he was doing better and I think today (Monday) he is back close to 100%.  Isaac is one tough kid.  And he is almost 7!  can't believe it!  

I'm thankful we get another chance to celebrate him when his birthday-day rolls around next week.  He still says he had a good party, but he didn't like getting a concussion.  Which is reasonable. ha!

4 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa from ND said...

So sorry for the concussion Isaac. It looks like the party and cake were a lot of fun! We pray Isaac will recover well.

Julie Redfern said...

Oh No! Not a fun way to celebrate a birthday. But it still looks like it was a fun day.

Grandmama said...

Sounds like a rather serious concussion, glad Isaac still got to enjoy his party. We look forward to talking with you closer to birthday day!

Paul said...

Great looking party and cake and tough birthday boy
love Grandaddy