Sunday, September 1, 2013

first day jitters

Tomorrow is the first day of school for the entire country.  And my three bigs.

I'm not ready.

I really love local school.  I love the way local school aligns us with our community.  I love the way local school immerses our family in the culture.  I love the way local school calls me to enter into relationships with people that are (honestly) easier to ignore.  I love the way local school provides critical insight into language and culture and relationships that I would totally miss otherwise.   

But it comes at a price.  And on the night before the first day of school the price seems high.  Even with the bickering and constant chatter and perpetually messy house and ... even with all that, I LOVE having them at home.

{This is hardly because I am some sort of super momma who sails through parenting turmoil with a smile on my face and brownies in the oven.  oh no.  I think mostly it's just my personality, and their personalities, and a smattering of other reasons that I'm too tired to think of right this minute.  Some of the reasons aren't so great - like I love control (issues, yes!) and keeping them at home keeps me "in control" or at least the illusion of being in control is easier to maintain.}

So tonight there is a part of me that wants them to unpack their backpacks and stay in their pajamas tomorrow morning. 


The girls sailed through Saturday at the local elementary school.  It was essentially meet-the-teacher and new-student-orientation and parent-conferences and supply-purchases all rolled into one action packed day. 

Their school is 1st through 9th grade.  There are six classes of first graders.  Julianna's class has 42 students, Lydia's has 41.   So 240ish first graders!!!  It's a big school :) 

Isaac is ready to rock too.  Mostly bummed he didn't get the school supplies the girls did - it's tough to be the little guy sometimes.  Tomorrow is a new school for him too - half a block from our complex! I can see his building from the girls' bedroom window!  The girls are a three block walk.  I never imagined our kids could attend two separate schools and still be within a super short walk of home.

Me and the two little boys will be twiddling our thumbs waiting for lunch time when we pick them up.  

thanks for praying for all of them.  My girls are so brave! Can you imagine heading off to your first day of 1st grade with the added challenge of navigating it all in your second language and culture?  (don't believe for a minute that the language is the only difference here... schools are schools, but the cultural leap is still significant.) Oh, and they are the first non-Asians to ever attend the school. 

Anyways, thanks for praying.  And I'll definitely hope to update tomorrow night with some pics and *hopefully* good reports from the kiddos. 

4 comments:

Krisanne said...

Praying right now as the kids are probably in their classes! Hope they have a wonderful first day - so glad for these schools and opportunities for them, and praying for a great experience for all!

Grandmama said...

Look forward to hearing about the girls' first day of school. Love Lydia's shot bob. Love you all and miss you too!

Grandma Jan said...

The kiddos are In our prayers bunches, and we love you guys tons. Hope their first day of school went well. Can't wait to walk them to school again sometime. My memories of walking them to school are so wonderful. Still can't believe I made it across the super highway with them. So glad their school is closer this time. They are so brave and coursgeous, like you and daddy. Love to you all. Jan

Leslie said...

I agree...I love being at home with all the kids. I think it's because we are all on the same rhythm the entire day (or at least I know the rhythm they are on.) Transition back to home life at the end of the school day is the hardest for me. Praying that you have smooth transitions and reunion each day as a family.