Wednesday, September 16, 2009

starting solids?

Today is Isaac's 6 month birthday. He is such a delightful little guy, full of smiles and so easy to cuddle. I love it!

He's growing fast and loves to eat. Loves. To. Eat. I was hoping to put off solids a little longer, but I am starting to feel the effects of his incessant demand for more, so I might go ahead and whip up some rice cereal for the little guy.

Xiao Li (who is a baby food making professional!) is making pumpkin today and apples tomorrow.... so we're all set, I just have to get out the baby spoons.

Lucky me, the girls have already been doing lots of "training runs" with Isaac. They love to cook in their little kitchen, and are always eager for someone to 'taste' their creations. Lydia runs up to me with a plastic bowl and spoon, stirring furiously and asking "do you want to taste my pumpkin soup" or "can I make you some coffee? You want it hot or warm?" Julianna tends to specialize in pie. Her current favorite is something she calls "chocolate zero pie" and she loves to bring me a bite.

Now, I don't mind sitting on the floor with them and playing 'kitchen'. We set the table, make all kinds of specialties in their little oven, and have a grand 'ole time. But I don't have the patience for all-day taste-testing, especially when I'm in the middle of switching laundry, or changing Isaac's diaper, or sweeping the floor .... "taste it Mommy, taste it. No, it's hot, blow on it first. Blow a lot or it will burn your mouth. Do you like it? Want some more?"

Enter Isaac.


The perfect taster. After all, he puts everything in his mouth.

It's a match made in heaven. They cook. They bring their creation to Isaac. He grabs the bowl, spoon, plastic purple eggplant, whatever they bring and puts it straight in his mouth. The girls love it. "He likes it. He's eating it. He likes my chocolate zero pie!" The girls have never cooked for such a willing taste-tester.

Hopefully all this practice will have him ready for the real thing.

2 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

What a sweet story - Isaac is the perfect play mate! Happy 6 months, Isaac. Don't forget the portraits! Love you!

Karen said...

Enter Isaac...

Laura, I laughed out loud at this story. What a great and accomodating brother he is!

love y'all