Saturday, November 14, 2009

what's for dinner

I usually plan meals on Sunday nights. Last Sunday I was (apparently) still deliriously refreshed from the moms conference and my meal planning suffered. I clearly remember looking at my meal plan sheet and thinking "Saturday night is blank. You need to fill something in for Saturday night." But I didn't.

The week started off with a bang, and I never dealt with the Saturday night issue. Before Xiao Li goes to the market she almost always runs through the next few days of meals, just to double check that the freezer and pantry are stocked up (yes - she is amazing and I am not sure what I would do without her!) So on Thursday she asked about Saturday dinner and looked at me a bit askance when I answered, "Not sure about Saturday. I'll figure something out then."

Well, then is now. It's 3 oclock Saturday afternoon. I just took a quick fridge inventory: two pieces of leftover pizza, almost 2 liters of milk, one slice of bread, half a jar of homemade salsa, carrot and pumpkin puree (at least Isaac is provided for!), 2 eggs, about 2 cups of leftover rice, ketchup and barbeque sauce. Hmmm, this is going to call for a bit of creativity!

I would suggest going out. But if you haven't taken three young children to a local restaurant you haven't experienced the art of truly stressful dining. At the end of a long week, I'm just not up for that kind of dinner.

We could call and get the restaurant to deliver. But I'm just not in the mood for that either.

The freezer has some meals, but none of them sound appetizing to me right now.

These are the moments when I start dreaming of what we would do if we lived in America. I name restaurants I enjoy, imagine all the convenient food options at the grocery store, day dream about asking Matt to 'pick something up on the way home' (ha! can you imagine what he would show up with? Let's just say this isn't the kind of place that is full of appetizing options!)

What do you do for last minute dinners? I'm starting to think we'll have to do pancakes, and I'll need to run out for more eggs. Any other ideas for me? It might be too late for tonight, but I'd love to have a few more options the next time I blatantly ignore one entire day on my meal planning sheet :)

3 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

Yeah, breakfast is what I usually do too in that situation. I always have stuff to make spaghetti on hand for those cases too. since it is now Sunday for you I am sure you feed those kids something! Love Julie

Mom/Grandmama said...

Same as Julie - breakfast for supper and always have spaghetti and sauce on hand! Planning meals and feeding a family of five is definitely much more of a challenge there than here - but you eat much healthier - no fast food and no frozen dinners that you didn't create yourself. Thank God for Xiao Li!

Chris, Leah, Austin, Bennett and Lucy said...

I wish I had the very rare problem of having an unplanned meal...it happens to me too often. Though I fortunately or unfortunately really have the option of McDonald's delivery in 10 minutes or less. Yikes. Too tempting sometimes.